1984-1991, Belgrade University, School of Medicine
1991-1993, Belgrade University, School of Medicine
Pediatric Surgery: 1993-1998, Medical School, Belgrade University
July 1998. – Board Certified Specialist in Pediatric Surgery
Urology, 1998-2002, Medical School, Belgrade University
May 2002. – Board Certified Specialist in Urology
Pediatric Urology, 1999- 2002, Medical School, Belgrade University
April 2002. – Board Certified Subspecialist in Pediatric Urology
Master of Medical Sciences in Urology:
June 1997.- Master’s Theses Defended (Title: “Erection provoked by Prostaglandine E1 versus artificial erection in the diagnosis and treatment of congenital penile anomalies”)
1998 – 2003, Medical School, Belgrade University
PhD Theses: “A new approach for surgical treatment of Peyronie’s disease”.
1992 – 1998
Pediatric surgery, University Children’s Hospital, Tirsova 10, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
1998 – Present
Pediatric Urology Department, University Children’s Hospital, Tirsova 10, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
1999 – 2012
Associate Professor of Surgery, Medical School, Belgrade University
2012 – Present
Professor of Surgery, Medical School, Belgrade University
2013 – Present
Member of Academy of Serbian Medical Association
First prize for a best video presentation entitled “Komplette Penile Disassembly Technik Bei Der Epispadiekorrektur-Eine Neue Variante” at the 51th Congress of DGU (Deutschen Gesellschaft fur Urologie)
First prize for a best video presentation for 1999 entitled “A new approach to the surgical treatment of Peyronie’s disease” at the 15th Congress of EAU (European Association of Urology)
Second prize for a best video presentation entitled “Diphallus-Erfolgreiche Chirurgische Vereinigung der Penise” at the 55th Congress of DGU (Deutschen Gesellschaft fur Urologie)
Third prize for a best video presentation entitled “Dorsaler Dartoslappen zur Fistelforbeugung bei der Hypospadiekorrektur nach Snodgrass“ at the 57th Congress of DGU(Deutschen Gesellschaft fur Urologie)
First prize for best poster presentation entitled „Urethral lengthening in female transsexuals using combined buccalmucosa graft and labia minora flap“, presented at FOURTH EAU South Eastern European Meeting, Tirana 2008
First prize for best poster presentation entitled „One stage metoidioplasty in female to male transgender patients: the role of genital flaps for urethral reconstruction“, presented at FIFTH EAU South Eastern European Meeting, Belgrade, 2009.
First prize for best poster presentation entitled: “Total phalloplasty in female transsexuals: Technique and outcomes“, at SEVETH EAU South Eastern European Meeting, Skopje, 2011.
Second prize for best presentation entitled: „Fast-track surgery concepts in pediatric urology: are they always possible?”, presented at Anual Meeting of European Paediatric Surgeons Association, Barcelona, 2011.
First prize for the best poster presentation entitled: „Single stage repair of obliterative urethral stricture by combined buccal mucosa graft and longitudinal dorsal penile skin flap“, presented at 27th Annual European Association of Urology Congress, Paris, 2012.
First prize for the best poster presentation entitled „Reversal surgery in regretful male to female transsexuals after sex reassignment surgery“, presented at TENTH EAU South Eastern European Meeting, Belgrade, 2014.
First prize for the best poster presentation in the session “Advanced assessment of urethral reconstruction and new developing techniques” entitled „Late complications after hypospadias repair in childhood”, presented at 33rd Annual EAU Congress, Copenhagen, 2018.
Second prize for the poster presentation entitled “Late functional and psychosexual complications of primary hypospadias repaired in childhood”, presented at 13th EAU South Eastern European Meeting (SEEM), Belgrade, 2018.
Third prize for the poster presentation entitled “Musculocutaneous latissimus dorsi free flap as an option for phallic reconstruction in transmen”, presented at the EAU 18th Central European Meeting (CEM), Romania, 2018.
First prize for the best poster presentation in the session “Genital urinary reconstruction” entitled „Penile prosthesis insertion after female to male phalloplasty: our experience”, presented at 34rd Annual EAU Congress, Barcelona, 2019.
Second Karl Storz Award for best poster presentation entitled: “Phalloplasty in three cases with aphallia” at the EAU 19th Central European Meeting in conjunction with the Austrian Society of Urology and the Bavarian Society of Urology, Vienna, 2019.
Third prize Case Report Session for presentation entitled: “Neophallic reconstruction in penile agenesis: Outcomes in two cases” at the 20th EUPSA Meeting, Belgrade, 2019.
The best gender reassignment surgical paper in 2019, by ISSM (“Surgical Techniques and Outcomes of Secondary Phalloplasty After Metoidioplasty in Transgender Men: An International, Multi-Center Case Series”)
Best ePoster in Reconstruction Session for presentation entitled: “Urethral lengthening using labia minora flaps in total phalloplasty for transmen”, 40th Congress of the Societe Internationale d’Urologie (SIU), Virtual, 2020.
2014, 2017, 2018, 2022 – India (Ahmedabad, New Delhi, Manipal)
2015 – Kenia (Nairobi)
ESPU – European Society of Pediatric Urology, 2001-present
AAP – American Academy of Pediatrics – Section of Urology, 1999-present
AUA – American Urological Association, 2003-present
EAU – European Association of Urology, 1995- present
SIU – International Urological Association, 2006-present GURS – Society for Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons, 2007-present
DGU – German Urological Association, 2006-present
ESSM – European Society for Sexual Medicine
ISSM – International Society for Sexual Medicine
WPATH – World Professional Association for Transgender Health, 1996-present
EPATH – European Professional Association for Transgender Health, 2014-present
IVU– International Volunteers in Urology, 2005-present
EAfGS – European Association for Gender Surgeons, 2013- present
Journal’s Editorial Board
1.Editor: Advances in Urology, Hindawi Publisher
2.Editorial Board: Urology. Datasets Papers in Medicine
3. Advisory Board: Andrologia Journal, Sofia, Bulgaria
4. International Editorial Board: Urologia Essencial, Brasil
5. Editorial Board: International Archives of Urology,
6. Editorial Board: International Journal of Research in Urology,
7. Lead Guest Editor: Advances in Urology, two times
8. Lead Guest Editor: Scientific World Journal,
9. Guest Editor: BioMed Research International
Reviewer in Journals and Books
1. Nature Reviews Urology
2. Journal of Urology
3. Journal of Sexual Medicine
4. British Journal of Urology International (BJUI)
5. Urology Gold Journal
6. Journal of Pediatric Urology
7. Asian Journal of Andrology
8. Canadian Urological Association Journal
9. International Journal of Urology
10. International Brazilian Journal of Urology
11. Urology Annals
12. International Journal of Impotence Research
13. International Journal of Sexual Health
14. Journal of Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery
15. Research and Reports in Urology
16. Scandinavian Journal of Urology
17. UroToday International Journal
18. Plastic and Aesthetic Research
19. Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management
20. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
21. Malaysian Journal of Medical Science
22. African Journal of Pediatric Surgery
23. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews
25. Translational Andrology and Urology
INVITED LECTURER, MODERATOR, ROUND TABLE
28th CONGRES OF THE SOCIETE INTERNATIONALE D’UROLOGIE, Cape Town, 2006. Invited Speaker with Lecture:
Fasciocutaneous urethroplasty: How to do it.
UNIVERSITY OF LISBON, September 2007. Invited Surgeon and Speaker with lecture:
Genital reconstructive surgery.
29th CONGRES OF THE SOCIETE INTERNATIONALE D’UROLOGIE, Cape Town, 2006. Invited Speaker with Lecture
Complex Urethral reconstruction: When Simple Fails.
III SIMPOSIO INTERNATIONAL DE CIRURGIA UROLOGICA RECONSTRUTORA, Brasilian Society for Urology, Rio De Janeiro, April 2008. Invited Speaker with three Lectures:
Casos complexos da doenca de Peyronie.
10th SIMPOSIUM OF PORTUGUESE ASSOCIATION OF UROLOGY, Algarve, October 2008. Invited Speaker with Lecture:
Limits and Challenges in Penile Reconstructive Surgery
UNIVERSITY OF LISBON, May 2009. Invited Surgeon
Annual Meeting of International Society for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Rhodes, September 2009. Round Table: Genitalia and Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
8th ANNUAL TRANS-HEALTH CONFERENCE, Philadelphia, June 2009. Invited Speaker with two Lectures:
Urethral reconstruction in female to male transgender patients.
Metoidioplasty: basics, advances and roles in FtM surgery.
European Association of Urology, Section of South-Eastern European Section, 5th Meeting, Belgrade, October 2009. MODERATOR and INVITED SPEAKER with lecture:
Management of hypospadias.
30th CONGRES OF THE SOCIETE INTERNATIONALE D’UROLOGIE, Shangai, 2009. Invited Speaker with Lecture:
Adult stricture in previous hypospadias patients.
Greek Association of Paediatric Surgeons, Ianina, April, 2010. Invited Speaker with lecture:
Surgical management of hypospadias and epispadias
Annual Meeting of Portugal Andrological Society. Lisbon, November 2009. iInvited Surgeon and Speaker with lecture:
13th ANNUAL MEETING OF ESSM, MALAGA, 2010. ROUND TABLE: The bull fighting experience: My surgery works better in severe case of Peyronie’s disease. INVITED SPEAKER with lecture:
First World Congress of Pediatric Urology, San Francisco, May 2010. Panel discussion – Invited speaker with lecture:
Building Capacity in Low Resource Countries.
University of Belgrade, October 2011. ROUND TABLE: Consultations on urethral stricture disease. PROGRAM CHAIRMAN.
31st Congress of the Societe Internationale D’Urologie. Berlin, October 2012. MODERATOR AND INVITED SPEAKER WITH LECTURE:
Flap urethroplasty: tricks and traps!
14th Congress of the European Society for Sexual Medicine. Milano, December 2011. Invited speaker with lecture:
Severe genital trauma – emergency treatment in 2011.
12th Asia-Oceania Congress of Sexology (AOCS). Matsue-city, Japan, August 2012. Invited speaker with lecture:
Female to male surgery: basics, principles and challenges.
32nd Congress of the Societe International d’Urologie. September 30-October 4, 2012, Fukuoka, Japan. Invited speaker with lecture:
15th Congress of European Society for Sexual Medicine, Amsterdam, December, 2012. Round table: Andrological Emergencies. Invited speaker with lecture:
Severe genital trauma – emergency treatment in 2011.
The Amsterdam Gender Identity Meeting, Amsterdam, 2013. Workshop: Gender Surgery. Round table: Female to Male Surgery. Invited speaker with lecture:
TAP Phalloplasty and buccal mucosa
Gender Aesthetic Congress Asia 2013, Singapore, April 2013. Chairman; Invited speaker with two lectures:
What are the various options in phalloplasty.
An overview in gender reassignment surgery.
23rd Symposium of World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), Bangkok, Thailand, February, 2014. Organizer and Chairman of the Mini-Symposia ”Pitfalls in Transsexual Surgery”.
25th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Paediatric Urology (ESPU), Innsbruck, Austria, May, 2014. Pannel: Hypospadias: Severe chordee – ventral lengthening Vs dorsal plication. Invited speaker with lecture:
33rd Congress of the Société Internationale d’Urologie, Vancouver, September, 2013. Invited speaker with two lectures:
Genital complications after hypospadias repair.
Urethroplasty in neophalloplasty.
2nd Live operative workshop on male and female complicated urinary tract reconstructive and incontinence surgerie – PENRECON 2014, Ahmedabad, India, August, 2014. Invited surgeon and State of the Art Lecture:
Severe Genital Trauma.
8th Masterclass of Genito-Urethral Reconstructive Surgery, London, UK, November 3-6th, 2014. Invited faculty and Moderator in Live surgery.
The 18th Hypospadias Study Days, Istanbul, Turkey, November, 2014. Invited speaker with 4 lectures:
First Biennal Conference of the European Professional Association for Transgender Health (EPATH) – “Transgender Health in Europe”, March, 2015, Ghent, Belgium. Chairman of the Surgery Session
Kenya Association of Urological Surgeons Live Surgery Workshop, Nairobi, 2015. Faculty, invited surgeon and speaker with lecture:
72nd Congress of the French Society of Pediatric Surgery (SFCP), September 2015, Lille, France. Invited guest with lecture:
Transsexual Surgery Meeting, September, 2015, Gotenborg, Sweden. VISITING PROFESSOR AND INVITED SURGEON AND SPEAKER with lecture:
Sex reassignment surgery: My experience.
Transsexual Surgery Meeting, December, 2015, Turin, Italy. INVITED SURGEON AND SPEAKER with lecture:
Management of surgical complications after transsexual surgery.
Transsexual Surgery Meeting, April, 2016, Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), Portland, USA. INVITED SURGEON AND SPEAKER.
Transsexual Surgery, May, 2016, Mount Sinai’s International Teaching Faculty, New York, NY, USA, USA. INVITED SURGEON AND SPEAKER.
Transsexual Surgery Meeting, October, 2016, Trapani, Sicily Italy. INVITED SPEAKER with lecture:
An overview of transsexual surgery.
Workshop: Improvement of Health Care for Transgenders in Croatia, December, 2016, Zagreb, Croatia. INVITED SPEAKER with lecture:
Second Biennal Conference of the European Professional Association for Transgender Health (EPATH) – “ Contemporary Trans Health in Europe: Focus on Challenges and Improvements”, April, 2017, Belgrade, Serbia.
Chairman of the Surgery Session
39. The 1st GURS Eastern European Symposium, June 2017, Skopje, Macedonia.
* Genital reconstructive surgery
40. 7th UROMEET Reconstructive Urology Meeting, New Delhi, India. July 2017. Moderator of “Live surgery” session and invited speaker:
* Peyronie’s disease: My evaluation and algorithm.
* Phalloplasty and penile reconstruction: My experience.
41. 37th Congress of the SIU (Société Internationale d’Urologie), Lisbon, October 2017. Chairman and invited speaker.
42. Northwell University, New York, 2017. Invites speaker: Transgender surgery – Belgrade experience.
43. The 3rd International Menopause Society Regional Conference and The 2nd Serbian Menopause Society Congress. Belgrade, November 2017. Invited speaker.
44. 15th International Congress of Gynecologists and Obstetricians of Serbia, Belgrade 2017. Invited speaker: Male to female genital reconstructive surgery.
45. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, April 2018: Live surgery moderator and Invited speaker: Gender Affirmation Procedures.
46. 4th Congress of Pediatric Surgeons of Serbia with International Participation. Belgrade, Serbia, April 2018. Invited speaker: Transitional urology: treatment of long-term complications after the initial treatment of congenital genital anomalies.
47. 14th Congress of the European Federation of Societies for Microsurgery, Belgrade, Serbia, May 2018. Chairman of Urogenital Session – Microvascular approaches in genital reconstructive surgeries; and Invited speaker: Metoidioplasty; Latissimus dorsi phalloplasty; Hypospadias: flap-graft re-do surgery.
48. Kasturba Medical College, The Urological Society of India, Principal Faculty of Live operative workshop and Invited speaker. Manipal, India, June 2018.
49. International Course of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgery, Santo Domingo, Dominicana, October 2018. Invited Professor, Demonstrative surgery.
50. WORLD.MINDS 2018 Annual Symposium, December 2018, Zurich, Switzerland. Invited speaker.
51. Multidisciplinary Grand Rounds, Hahnemann University Hospital, Philadelphia, USA, February 2019. Invited speaker, Demonstrative surgery: Genital reconstructive surgery and gender affirmation surgery.
52. Mount Sinai / WPATH Live Surgery Conference for Gender Affirmation Procedures, February – March 2019, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York. Invited speaker, Demonstrative surgery.
53. Amsterdam Gender Rounds, Amsterdam University Medical Center (UMC). Faculty, Demonstrative surgery. Amsterdam, NL. May 2019.
54. AUA Annual Meeting. Moderator. Poster Session: Trauma/Reconstruction/Diversion: External Genitalia Reconstruction and Urotrauma. Chicago, IL, USA. May 2019.
55. AUA Pre Meeting: Gender Affirming Surgery. Course Co-Director. Chicago, IL, May
56. AUA Annual Meeting. Instructional Course No. 25. Faculty. Chicago, IL, May
57. GURS Academic Congress, October 2019, Athens, Greece. PRESIDENTIAL LECTURE.
58. GURS Academic Congress, October 2019, Athens, Greece. Session Moderator:
Section F. Gender affirmation surgery and penile transplantation.
CFD # 4. Peyronie’s disease in potent patients: plicate, multiple tranverse incisions, graft?
59. 39th Congress of the SIU (Société Internationale d’Urologie), Athens, 2019. President of Instructional Course: Gender Affirmation Surgery – from beginning to the end.
60. Webinar “Hypospadias and Male Genital Reconstruction”, Leading Faculty. Manipal Academy, India, May 2020.
61. 40th Congress of the SIU (Société Internationale d’Urologie), October 2020. President of Instructional Course: Gender Affirmation Surgery – Role of the Urologist.
62. 26th WPATH Scientific Symposium, Virtual, November 2020. Moderator: Metoidioplasty session.
73. IMed Conference 13.0 Lisbon 2021, Invited speaker with lecture: “Gender reassignment surgery”, 8-10th October 2021, Lisbon, Portugal (Virtual).
1. University of Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, 2008
2. University of Varna, Bulgaria, March 2010
3. University of Saint Louis, USA, January 2011
4. University of Michigan, USA, May 2012
5. University of Goiania, Brasil, May 2012
6. University of Nagoya, Japan, August 2012
7. University of Istanbul, Turkey, November 2014
8. SUNY-Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, USA, May 2015
9. Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), Portland, USA, April 2016
10. Mount Sinai’s International Teaching Faculty, New York, NY, USA, May 2016
11. Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 2016
12. Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India, 2018
13. Hahnemann University Hospital, Philadelphia, USA, 2019.
14. Columbia University, New York, USA, 2019
March – April 1997.
Observer in Urology at the Urology Department of the Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, under guidance of Dr Alan Retik
Italy (Padua, Milano, Roma); Hungary (Budapest, Szeged, Pesc); Greece (Thessaloniki, Patras); Germany (Munich, Bonn, Berlin, Frankfurt); Poland (Warsaw); Portugal (Lisbon); USA (Miami, Detroit, Portland, New York, Philadelphia); Brasil (Rio de Janeiro); Thailand (Bangkok); India (Ahmedabad, New Delhi; Manipal); UK (London); Sweden (Goteborg); Nairobi (Kenya)
Member of Academy of Serbian Medical Association 2013 – Present
The founder and leader of Belgrade Center for Genital Reconstructive Surgery
GURS (The Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons) President Elect – Member from 2007, in Board of Directors from May 2015, President Elect from 2018. President from 2019
Member of The Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY, USA; Member of Mount Sinai’s International Teaching Faculty.
O1 USA Visa holder – “Individuals with extraordinary ability or achievement in science”.
Winner of the The City of Belgrade Annual Award in the field of medicine, for 2015.
Winner of the Annual award of School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, for scientific contribution in 2015.
Organizing Committee and the Host of “Uterus transplant program”, Belgrade, Serbia, March 25-26, 2017.
Local Organizing Committee of the 2nd EPATH Conference “Contemporary Trans Health in Europe: Focus on Challenges and Improvements”, April 6-8, 2017, Belgrade, Serbia
Local Organizing Committee of The 1st GURS Eastern European Symposium, June 1-3 2017, Skopje, Macedonia
Organizer of “Penile transplant project”, in collaboration with Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, September 11-14, 2017, Belgrade, Serbia
Organizing Committee of GURS Academic Congress, October 15-16, 2019, Athens, Greece
Organizer of “Testis transplantation project”, in collaboration with Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, December 2-4, 2019, Belgrade, Serbia
Director and organizer of GURS Meeting 2021 at AUA Annual Meeting, September 10, 2021.
An opponent in the graduation ceremony of mr. Garry Pigot at Amsterdam University Medical Centre (VUMC), April 1, 2021
Evaluation reference for Dr M.G. Mullender promotion to Full professor at Amsterdam University Medical Center (VUMC), requested by Dean and Chair of executive board, Prof. C.H. Polman.
Principal Investigator at the scientific project “Possibilities for penile transplantation from live donors: Cadaveric study of surgical anatomy and dissection”, program IDEAS, Science Fund of the Republic of Serbia